Cottage Home ‘Green Cottage’ Receives LEED Platinum Certification
Brian Bosgraaf Guest Column in Grand Rapids Business Journal
Cottage Home, designers and builders of well-appointed beach houses and cottages, announced today that the company’s Green Cottage was awarded LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED Platinum is the highest level of achievement in green homebuilding, making the Green Cottage one of only five LEED Platinum homes in Michigan and the only Lake Michigan shoreline home to achieve this level.
LEED for Homes is a national third-party certification system for energy efficient, healthy, green homes. LEED certified homes complete a technically rigorous process that includes a home energy (HERS) rating and onsite inspections to verify that the home is built to be energy and water efficient, environmentally sound, and a healthier place to live.
Designed and built by Cottage Home, the new private residence is located at 7141 Suequehanna Lane near Glenn, Michigan, and reflects the company’s long-standing commitment to green building and sustainable designs. The many benefits of building a LEED certified home include lower energy and water bills, greater efficiency and comfort, higher quality air and less greenhouse gas emissions.
“Cottage Home is committed to sustainable design in all our new homes,” said Cottage Home President Brian Bosgraaf. “The LEED Platinum is the highest certification; we are all very pleased with this recognition. A unique aspect of the Green Cottage is the fact that you would never know by appearance that this home meets LEED criteria. It’s an excellent example of how you can achieve sustainable design while keeping the traditional qualities of a comfortable lakeshore home.”
Overlooking Lake Michigan, the Green Cottage incorporates many energy-efficient and sustainable technologies, including:
- Geothermal closed loop heating system
- Energy Star rated appliances and lighting fixtures
- Highly efficient plumbing and electrical systems
- Many appliances use time switching devices
- 2×6 exterior wall system and Tyvek® moisture management
- Cynene® insulation in walls and ceilings
- Zero VOC, low odor, silica free GreenSure™ designated paints
- ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator)
- Waste water collection and rain water harvesting
- Recyclable and biodegradable cedar shake siding